The Self-Determination is a program that gives you a budget of money to make your choices and control over the services you receive through your regional center. Regional center has used a program called purchase of service to pay for vendored services identified that can help you reach your goals. When you are a participant in Self-Determination, you get to choose which services, may be even ones that are not vendored.
Self-Determination Program is life-changing because it provides you more independence, freedom, choices, and control.
You're in Control
Participants and families may purchase services from traditional providers or choose local businesses instead.
Participants can hire support workers directly or they can negotiate special arrangements with groups and individuals in their communities to help with your goals!
Self-determination has 5 core principles:
- FREEDOM. Decide how you want to live your life.
- AUTHORITY. Over a targeted amount of dollars.
- SUPPORT. Organize resources in ways that are life-enhancing and meaningful to you.
- RESPONSIBILITY. Direct how you want services and a budget to be best used to meet your goals.
- CONFIRMATION. You are important. You are the decision-maker.
“Nothing about you, without you”
Get started with self-determination
Self-determination is available for ages 3 years and up. Please note that for minor children, it is parents/guardians that are the decision-makers.
We are available to
- Offer guidance, help, and support for anyone interested in learning more about self-determination,
- Act as a guide throughout the transition of budget programs
- Offer various resources and training that you may want and help you!