Our vision is to work in concert with people served, their families and support teams in building a strong community that promotes equal opportunities for all persons. We believe that everyone should have full access to the communities in which they live, that each person has the right to make decisions based on personal choice and that each person has the right to a safe, secure environment in which to explore individual interests. Everyone needs a break from time to time, but finding someone who is qualified to care for their loved one can be difficult. HCAR’s Respite Services can make a difference by providing trained staff and comprehensive support for both the person served and their families.
Hours & Location
HCAR Respite Services provides respite throughout Humboldt County up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year depending on the needs of the family, Regional Center authorized hours (for RC funded clients) and the availability of respite workers.
Families using HCAR’s services may call the office between 9:30am-4:00 pm, Monday-Friday
To ensure each person served gets the kind of personalized service they truly deserve we offer 4 types of respite opportunities:
- Respite allows the individuals served time to participate in activities and events that support and strengthen their family unit, as well as offering opportunities for the person served to spend time outside of the home independent from family but with the support of respite staff.
- Respite Plus provides all of the offerings of regular respite as well as a staff member trained in basic positive behavior support techniques, to assist people experiencing mild to moderate behavioral issues, and to provide tools for their families.
- Skills Acquisition services are provided by the same trained workers under the direction of a behaviorist who provides an assessment plan and designs individualized plans and staff training.
- Personal Attendant provides assistance with activities of daily living to individuals who cannot perform these tasks by themselves.
Get Started With Respite Care
Respites Services are not provided until a purchase of service agreement for the client has been received and all necessary paperwork has been completed. To begin this process, fill out the form below or contact us with questions.
Who Provides Respite Care?
Respite care providers are specially screened and trained to work in Respite Services.
- Screening requirements
- TB Clearance
- Reference Checks
- Fingerprint Clearance
- Post-hire requirements
- CPR & First Aid Certification
- Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI)
- On-going training through the College of Direct Support